Precinct Power: Operation: High Visibility
By David Whitehead Jr.
The ranks of liberal activism are packed with volunteers, and tend to be highly visible. Of course this is mostly because there are so many unemployed individuals and young people within those ranks, who have a good deal of energy and time on their hands.
We Conservatives have a high work ethic and tend to make something of ourselves and therefore we do not have a lot of time to devote to activism. This has earned us the nickname of the “Silent Majority.”
However, times have changed, and tides have turned against conservative values. We can remain silent and invisible no longer. We must learn to become highly visible AS REPUBLICANS in our neighborhoods, communities, and cities, and we must make every effort to see to it that we project a very positive image.
Operation: High Visibility is very simple, and can be and should be fun. All you do is join in community functions, especially charitable functions, and advertise the fact that you are a Republican as you join in. For example, if you are a volunteer for a city cleanup day, wear you Republican T-shirt, and a cap that says “Proud to be a Conservative”, or something of that nature.
Get several of your fellow Conservatives to join you, make sure you are all wearing the same thing, and be visible joining in the function. In fact, often when you are volunteering for such events, you can volunteer as a group. Nothing could be more visible and bring a more positive image than a dozen or so volunteers each with shirts that say, “The Houston Republicans,” or “Colorado Conservatives” all in matching colors.
How magnificent to see on the evening news a camera shot of thirty people manning the phones at a telethon for handicapped children, and notice that a full third of them are proudly wearing their “Florida Republicans” T-shirts.
Here are a few ideas for higher visibility in the community:
Twenty One Wonderful Ways to be More Visible in the Community
· Sponsor a Community Charity Garage Sale!
· Sponsor a Neighborhood Employment Committee!
· Begin a Neighborhood Birthday Brigade!
· Begin a Conservative Neighborhood Welcomittee!
· Send Birthday Cards to Notables!
· Invite Celebrities to Precinct Functions!
· Sponsor a Community Vegetable Garden!
· Sponsor a Conservative Book Club!
· Volunteer in groups at all local charity events!
· Sponsorships – such as Little League Baseball!
· Join the local clubs in force!
· Patronize local businesses in force!
· Sponsor a Halloween Haunted House for Charity!
· Sponsor a neighborhood cleanup!
· As a group volunteer for the City Cleanup Program!
· Volunteer for a Telethon!
· Enter City wide Contests!
· Enter Running Events!
· Enter Charity Walking Events!
· Volunteer in force for Crime Watch Activities!
· Volunteer in force at the local School and P.T.A. Events!
· Start a club, any club: Skating Club, Bible Study, Book Club, Motorcycle Gang, Cooking Club, Eating Club, Walking Group, etc…
Don’t forget – the key is to advertise yourselves as Republicans while joining in these events!